Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cleaning Toilets In Europe

"Ok man! See how he cleans and you have to learn as quickly as you can. I am not going to pay you until you are perfect". My Turkish Boss told me pointing out at a Swedish guy who was cleaning the bar. It was at one of the biggest nightclubs in town. It was my first day of job and I was on the training. After struggling at 100 places, I have finally found this part time job. Forget about earning euros, even surviving becomes difficult in most of the European countries until you speak their local language. You see, even to clean the toilets they want you to speak their language. English is not going to help you anymore. In France speak French, Germany German, Spain Spanish, Holland Dutch, Belgium German or French, Italy Italian, Finland Finnish, Sweden Swedish and rest you name it. I was lucky enough that I got a job as a foreigner. Very quickly I learnt art of cleaning.

Every morning, at freezing cold of Minus 20 degree I leave my warm bed and take a bus to work. The weather is really horrible with snowfall and killing wind. Even more than that, the weather is so gloomy and unpleasant that people get depressed. It has been more than a month that I last saw the Sun. Till 12 in the morning it is dark and again by 3 or 4 afternoon it turns dark again. That was the price to be paid when you live in one of the coldest countries. I did not have any option like in Kathmandu "Damn care". Here work means work. If you are late for a minute you can be kicked out of the job and by chance (remember by chance) it is going to happen, you have to inform them one hour earlier.

Now it has been my routine to clean the bar, washing the wine and beer glasses, then sometimes also clean the toilets. The place where I work is as I said one of the most happening places in town with a disco, night club, pub, bar and restaurant. So the work load is really a lot. Mopping the floor with all the wine stains with gloves in hand is really an AMAZING experience. Though I have heard such things in Nepal, I never imagined myself doing such kind of work. Frankly I considered myself smart (over smart?) in all aspects but… here I’ve seen KO KATI PANIMA….

Gradually, working in this environment has been my passion. Here work means work. Either cleaning the toilet or running the country, you have to prove your sincerity. People who work are highly respected. I can proudly say here that I work as a cleaner and everyone respects me. I have seen many Europeans and Americans doing the same kind of work. More interestingly when my friends at the university came to know about my work I have got trouble. Everyone wants me to help them find a job. Sometimes while cleaning the toilets I curse myself, ‘what I’m doing here! Have I come to do this all the way from my country? I feel sorry for myself.
What I used to earn in Nepal for a whole month, I can make it here in just 10 hours. Many of my friends say Nepalis do not work in Nepal but when they go abroad they are ready to do any type of job, even ‘fourth class’ like cleaning toilets. But I bet I am ready to clean the toilets of Kathmandu if anyone offers me that much money in Nepal. Even I’m ready to wash the dishes in front of all people at KHULA MANCH or TUNDIKHEL or wherever you order.. Here, I did not find gap between staff. Everyone is a staff. No Sir, no madam. You may know very well, there are no Peons in any office. The other day, I saw my Professor carrying tables and computers with great difficulty. When I wanted to help, he says its his work. Then I compare with Nepali HAKIM SAHEBS who need someone even to lift the empty cup from their table. That is difference between Westerners and Nepali Sahebs.


When I was in Nepal, I worked part time while doing colleges for years. Everyday I used to meet my boss BUT never had the opportunity to shake hands with him and never talked to him frankly. Not only my boss but it is almost the same with everyone. But here the Boss is like a friend you can talk to on everything, yes anything. The other day when I was working he came and said "Hi man, do you like music?" when I said yes. He told me "Then why are you working so hard, just listen to the music.” He played the music and I cleaned in rhythmic style and sometimes Boss comes and cleans toilet himself. I work with other four workers Swedish, German, Estonian and Spanish. Though I was one of the laziest guys but here I’m the most hard working. Really we Neaplis work pretty better than Europeans. During 3 hours of work they take five breaks and drink five cups of coffee and always complain that I work too hard. I am really surprised to know it. And nobody wants to pull your legs here like in Nepal until you work with South Asians. Sorry, just got a call from work; got to go.

(source : internet)(copied as the article was posted)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

temperatures disabled inhibited missing muffled andfishmeal guiding shivam rishi volunteer agmcilip
lolikneri havaqatsu